The following list provides links to all the posts that I have written either here or on Dawn Patrol about the Theology of the Body. I will update the list if I have missed any, or if, God forbid, I add others.
Update: Missed posts added to compendium (dates in red text).
Further Update: Added posts (dates in green text).
- “Hope of the World” (November 11, 2008): The first reference I made to the “new chastity movement” on this blog shortly after the national election in the context of our lack of will to elect a pro-life president in the United States.
- “Thinking Like a Man” (April, 16, 2009): Why it is necessary for men to fight the good fight of chastity, rather than hope to be delivered from temptation by a new and holy fascination with the body, as is suggested in West’s presentation.
- “John Paul the Great and Hugh Hefner the Magnificent” (May 8th, 2009): My original reaction to Chris West’s Nightline interview with a focus on the problem of prudery.
- “Christopher West’s blind spot: TOB has to be seen through Church’s historical teachings” (May 14, 2009): A response to those who say that the critique is an attack on Christopher West and a closer look at the question of “original innocence” and its relation to the effect TOB can have on our redemption.
- “Schindler’s list: Sparks fly as JP2 Institute dean raps Christopher West for errors” (May 29, 2009): An analysis of the responses of Professors Janet Smith and Michael Waldstein to the critique of West by Professor David Schindler.
- “Virgo redacta: Christopher West and the dangers of overanalogizing Mary” (June 18, 2009): An attempt to answer the defenders of Christopher West, by addressing some of the specific problems with his presentation, namely, the phallic symbolism of the paschal candle and the way that the Blessed Virgin is eroticized by his presentation. More generally, I touch upon his problematic use of analogy. (See, notation on new information contained in this post).
- “To Chris West: Enough Already. How about a Response?” (June 24, 2009): A critique of the methodology by which critics of West are dealt with by implying prudery or animus as a motivation for the disagreement, or that disagreement with West constitutes disagreement with John Paul II.
- “St. Agustine and the Theology of the Body” (June 27, 2009): Comments on and several quotations from Msgr. Cormac Burke’s defense of St. Augustine’s views on marriage. Another critique of seeing prudery where it isn’t.
- “The Theology of the Body and Courage: Fighting the Real Fight” (July 14, 2009): Why it is important for men to focus on agape rather than eros.
- “Martyrs, Mystics and Rhetoricians” (July 31, 2009): A response to Father Thomas Loya’s defense of Christopher West, with a focus on the hermeneutic of discontinuity manifested by the new “holy fascination” with the body advocated by Christopher West and his followers.
- Shame on You. Amen. (September 1, 2009): Thoughts inspired by a discussion on The Linde regarding the nature of shame and its relation to modesty, with an emphasis on the cultivation of prudence in the face of the American TOB crusade against prudery.
- Cardinal and Bishop Support Christopher West (September 8, 2009): Text of Cardinal Rigali’s and Bishop Kevin Rhoades letter of support of Christopher West and his work.
- In Defense of Purity (September 20, 2009): Introductory post to my commentary on Dietrich von Hildebrand’s work In Defense of Purity, proposed as a sure way of coming to understand the true meaning of the Theology of the Body.
- In Defense of Purity I (September 29, 2009): Commentary on the first chapter of von Hildebrand’s book, focusing on the meaning of shame, particularly in its positive aspect, and distinguished from that shame which seeks to protect the person from use, with a particular reference to its correlation in John Paul II’s Theology of the Body.
- A Response to Christopher West (October 30, 2009): My reply to the response to Christopher West, in which he finally breaks his silence regarding the controversy surrounding his presentation of the Theology of the Body.
- Theology of the Tango? (November 1, 2009): An example of the American version of Theology of the Body gone off the rails.
- Christopher West: Sexualizing Christianity (February 8, 2010): A commentary on a 2001/2002 between Dr. Mark Lowery and Christopher West, indicating that the recent objections to West are nothing new, and have gone unanswered for years.
- Sexing Up Canon Law (February 12, 2010): A response to a commenter’s objection to my previous post on the sexualization of Christianity by Christopher West. Specifically, I focus on the meaning of the canons governing the dissolution of a ratified but non-consummated marriage and what that means in terms of when sacramental grace is conferred in marriage.
- Father Peter Damian Fehlner on Ratified, Non-Consummated Marriages (February 13, 2010): The magisterial and theological tradition concerning this question from a professor of dogmatic theology.
- Theology of the Body: Of Sign and Fulfilment (March 4th, 2010): An explanation of the Churches use of theological analogy and the reason why Christopher West’s use of analogy is theologically incorrect.
- Christopher West Takes Sabbatical (April 13, 2010): The announcement from TOB Institute that Christopher West is taking time off to “reflect more deeply on fraternal and spiritual guidance he has received in order to continue developing his methodology and praxis as it relates to the promulgation of the Theology of the Body.”
- Toward a Climate of Chastity E-Book (April 20, 2010): Announcement of Dawn Eden’s publication of her master’s thesis on Christopher West’s work as an ebook. Links provided.
- Dawn Eden’s Thesis and Defense (June 15, 2010): Announcement of Dawn Eden’s re-publication of her master’s thesis on Christopher West’s work as an ebook, and the text of the defense of her thesis. Links provided.
- That for Which We Fight (July 2, 2010): A commentary on two opposing views of feminism with a special reference to Theology of the Body and a recommendation for a balanced approach.
- Alice Von Hildebrand’s New Essay on Her Husband and Christopher West (July 21, 2010): A brief announcement and acknowledgement of this blog author’s contribution to the essay.
- Good Reason Why Not to Have Someone Live-Tweet a Conference. (August 1, 2010): Some of the sensational and eyebrow-raising tweets from the TOB conference.
- Theology of the Body and the Mystical, Magical Train (August 5, 2010): An analysis of remarks and practices of Father Thomas Loya’s pastoral approach to TOB, including his use questionable images and theories concerning admiration for the naked body.
- Father Loya: Peer Reviewed: (August 1o, 2010) A guest post from Christina Strafaci concerning the legitimacy of public critique of the pastoral approach of certain TOB evangelizers.
- More TOB Discussion (August 11, 2010): A highlight from a discussion between Genevieve Kineke and Heidi Saxton.
- Where I am at Right Now with Theology of the Body (September 24, 2010): An assessment of the Theology of the Body debate impasse.
- Christopher West’s Translation of John Paul II’s Body Language (October 10, 2010): A response to Christopher West’s assessment of his critics in the light of his charism to popularize the Theology of the Body.
- The Way of Ugliness (November 6, 2010): A critique of an aspect of Christopher West’s multi-media event, “Fill These Hearts,” specifically his use of an anti-Catholic movie to illustrate his point that the Church has been filled with prudery prior to the Theology of the Body.
- Alternate States of Unreality (February 9, 2011): A reflection on Christian Occultism and its similarities with the current attempt at popularizing the Theology of the Body in the United States.
Thank you for all of these Father! I think you have been bang-on with all of them, and you have helped me to articulate what I have long thought but not been able to verbalize about Christopher West’s theology. Thank God that there are still people out there who understand theology in a hermeneutic of continuity.
Padre! I’m very sorry that I won’t be able to get up to the encampment this weekend due to work and a personal commitment elsewhere.
Let me just say THANKS for the clarity and thoroughness with which you have addressed this issue.
As soon as I get my little Irish head above water… I plan on cross linking this on my blog and on some other sites.
May God bless you and protect you and may Our Lady watch over this weekend’s encampment.
You had a post on June 27, “St. Augustine and the Theology of the Body,” and one on June 24, “To Chris West: Enough Already. How about a Response?,” that should probably be included in this list as well.
Thanks for the reminder. I will get them included. God bless.
Pingback: Some TOB Updates « Mary Victrix
Pingback: It’s going to be quiet around here « A Blog for Dallas Area Catholics
Pingback: Catholics and Pro-Life « A Blog for Dallas Area Catholics